LINCOLN PARK UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
OUR CHURCH HISTORY
Lincoln Park United Methodist Church was formed when John Stewart Memorial United Methodist Church (founded on August 7, 1919) and East Calvary United Methodist Church (founded on January 20, 1931) merged on May 13, 1973. The newly formed church moved into its new edifice and held its first service on May, 27, 1973 under the pastoral leadership of the late Rev. Dr. O. St. Clair Franklin. In the fall of the same year, Lincoln Park UMC became a formal part of the Capitol Hill community when it was admitted to Intennet, a school which provided formal training to ministers of church congregations.
More recently, Lincoln Park named its first female pastor when Rev. Dr. Diane Dixon-Proctor was appointed to serve the congregation in July 2009 and under her leadership, the Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations structure was instituted to streamline and clarify the mission and vision of the church. The Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations include the ministry arms of Radical Hospitality, Passionate Worship, Intentional Faith Development, Risk-Taking Mission & Service and Extravagant Generosity. The current pastor of Lincoln Park, Rev. Richard B. Black, was appointed to serve the congregation in July 2017 following a distinguished military and ministerial career.